Oprah Winfrey showed Rania, a Saudi woman who was almost beaten to death by her husband. She used this segment to talk about the unfair and unequal treatment of women in Saudi Arabia. Essam objected to Oprah's show by writing this article in the Arab News.
Then came this remark by Qays:
At times I just wish miss Oprah would stop being a good house slave and represent the facts right.
The "facts" that Oprah got wrong are never exactly stated. Instead, Oprah is savaged for showing Saudi Arabia in a bad light. Cry me a river.
Here are a few FACTS about Saudi Arabia:
- Women must cover their bodies from head to toe in an abaya and never be in the company of unrelated males.
- Women are forbidden from voting.
- Women are not allowed driver licenses. It is illegal for them to drive.
- Women are not allowed to work in the majority of jobs.
- Women must have the consent of their guardian for travel (father or husband). Even then they can only travel with a male relative.
- The Mutaween (the religious police) enforce the above Islamist laws. For example, in March of 2002:
Saudi Arabia's religious police stopped schoolgirls from leaving a blazing building because they were not wearing correct Islamic dress, according to Saudi newspapers.
15 of the girls died in the inferno as some of their parents waited outside. The Mutaween would rather have females burn to death than have them show an ankle in public. How anyone can defend Saudi Arabia is beyond me.